2015 Single-Payer Strategy Conference
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30 – SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 1
CHICAGO HILTON, 720 SOUTH MICHIGAN AVE., CHICAGO, IL
The agenda below is still in-formation and subject to change! Check back at this page for agenda updates.
Friday, October 30th
2:30PM-4:30PM – Early Registration at the Hilton (Outside the Boulevard room, Hilton)
4:30PM-5:30PM – Single-payer rally targeting a healthcare profiteer (you will be informed of location and other details when you register)
6:00PM-7:00PM – Registration resumes (Outside the Boulevard room, Hilton)
7:00PM-8:00PM – Reception with live music from labor singer Anne Feeney (Outside the Boulevard room, Hilton)
8:00PM-9:00PM – Opening Plenary (Boulevard room, Hilton):
- Greetings: Chicago Alderwoman Susan Sadlowski Garza
- Opening Remarks: Jean Ross, Co-President National Nurses United
- Keynote: Leo Gerard, President, United Steelworkers;
Respondants: Richard Gottfried, Chair of the NY State Assembly Health Committee; Claudia Fegan, MD, Physicians for a National Health Program; Speaker on behalf of Senator Bernie Sanders
Saturday, October 31st
- 9:00AM-10:30AM – Chair: Donna Dewitt, President South Carolina ARA
Address: Representative Jim McDermott (D., WA)
Plenary: “Developing a Winning Strategy for the Single-Payer Movement”: Benjamin Day, Executive Director, Healthcare-NOW!; Mark Dudzic, National Coordinator, Labor Campaign for Single Payer Healthcare; Donna Smith, One Payer States; Michael Lighty, Director of Public Policy, California Nurses Association/National Nurses United.
Q&A and Discussion.
- 10:30AM-10:45AM – BREAK
- 10:45AM-11:45AM – First block of workshops:
- Telling Your Healthcare Story
- Workers Compensation & Healthcare Justice
- New York: Behind the Breakthrough & Next Steps
- Winning Support from the Business Community
- National Legislative Initiatives
- 11:45AM-1:00 PM – Lunch (Serve outside the Boulevard room, Hilton)
Interest Group Meetings
- 1:05PM-2:05PM – Second block of workshops:
- The Cadillac Tax and Attacks on Worker Healthcare Benefits
- Progress Report on State Single-Payer Campaigns
- When Your Legislator Says No
- Organizing Students and Youth for Healthcare Justice
- Two Lessons from the Most Successful Campaign in Modern History
- 2:15PM-3:15PM – Third block of workshops:
- Advancing Single Payer During the Election Season
- Healthcare is a Human Right
- The ACA at 5 Years: Medicaid Expansion and Immigrant Inclusion
- LGBT Access to Healthcare: An Issue for All Single Payer Activists
- 3:15PM-3:30PM – BREAK
- 3:30PM-4:15PM – Chair: Dr. Paul Song, California Courage Campaign
Plenary: “Getting Past the Finish Line: The Single-Payer Movements in Vermont and New York”.
- 4:15PM-5:25PM - Plenary: “Single-Payer and the Movements for Racial Equity and Immigrant Justice.”
- 5:25PM-5:30PM – Film preview: “FixIt” – a documentary on business & the single-payer movement (Boulevard room, Hilton)
Sunday, November 1st
(All in the Boulevard room, Hilton)
- 9:00AM-9:15AM – Framing the Strategic Challenges & Opportunities for the Single-Payer Movement.
- 9:15AM-10:30AM – Small group strategy sessions to answer the “Framing Questions” of the conference.
- 10:30AM-11:30AM – Report backs & closing plenary.
Labor Campaign for Single Payer Healthcare
email@example.com or 201-314-2653